Tag Archives: Ron Leary

PLAYERS PERFORMANCE PAY: Dallas Cowboys left guard Ronald Leary ranks third for 2013

PLAYERS PERFORMANCE PAY - Dallas Cowboys left guard Ronald Leary ranks third for 2013 - The Boys Are Back website 2014

IRVING, Texas – Dallas Cowboys guard Ronald Leary ranked third in the league in performance-based pay for 2013, the NFL announced in its annual report.

The purpose of the program is to compensate players whose playing time surpasses their contract for the league year. Leary earned an additional $307,104.43, making him one of 11 players in the league to make at least $250,000 in additional compensation, due April 1.

Compensation does not count against the NFL’s salary cap of $133 million. Each team is allotted roughly $3.5 million to compensate players through an agreement with the NFL Players Association.

Leary started all 16 games at left guard last season, after he signed with Dallas as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He spent the majority of his rookie year on the practice squad before taking over for Nate Livings in training camp last summer.

Upon taking over the starting role, Leary played 71.3 percent of the team’s offensive snaps last year.

Before accounting for his performance-based pay, Leary’s initial salary for the 2013 season was $405,000. He’s slated to make $495,000 in 2014 – the final year of his initial contract before he becomes a restricted free agent in 2015.

Several other Cowboys players benefitted from the performance-based pay program, largely thanks to the rash of injuries that forced unheralded players into the starting lineup. Safety Jeff Heath, an undrafted rookie free agent out of Saginaw Valley State, rose up the depth chart to start eight games and roughly 57 percent of the team’s defensive snaps.

Heath’s compensation for 2013 is $247,273.09. Defensive tackle Nick Hayden, who was also an afterthought on the training camp roster before starting all 16 games, made an additional $156,788.33.

Nine Cowboys players in all earned more than $100,000 in extra compensation – including 16-game rookie starter Travis Frederick and fellow rookie starters Terrance Williams, and J.J. Wilcox.

George Selvie, who is now the Dallas Cowboys returning sack leader from 2013, also earned an additional $141,704.71 after earning a starting spot as a late addition to the training camp roster.

All told, the Cowboys made performance payments to 39 players during the 2013 season.

2013 PRESEASON INJURY UPDATE: Dallas Cowboys Lance Dunbar out; Kowalski and Dominguez return

2013 PRESEASON INJURY UPDATE - Dallas Cowboys Lance Dunbar out; Kowalski and Dominguez return

IRVING, Texas – None of the defensive players who were inactive for Saturday’s preseason game returned to practice Monday at Valley Ranch, while the offense received a mixed bag of news.

Guards Kevin Kowalski and Ray Dominguez returned from knee and shoulder injuries, respectively, but running back Lance Dunbar missed practice for the first time with a foot sprain.

Five offensive players were out Monday, including Dunbar, wide receiver Cole Beasley (foot) and offensive linemen Ryan Cook (back), Ron Leary (knee) and Nate Livings (knee). Leary and Livings are both on the mend from knee scopes.

Safety Matt Johnson (foot) thought he’d be able to return in some capacity Monday, but he wasn’t on the field during the early portion of practice available to the media. Morris Claiborne, whose day-to-day knee injury has now become week-to-week, was also out.

Some good news for the defense was the return of safety Will Allen, who left Saturday’s game after injuring his ribs. Head coach Jason Garrett said after the game the injury wasn’t serious and he could have returned.

The usual suspects were still out on defense, including Anthony Spencer (knee) and Jay Ratliff(hamstring), while Ernie Sims, Sean Lissemore and Eric Frampton are all still recovering from injuries suffered toward the end of camp.

J.J. Wilcox hasn’t returned yet for personal reasons, but has been given as much time as he needs following the death of his mother and is expected back around the middle of this week.

Travis Chappelear and Toby Jackson weren’t at practice for the beginning portion, either. Chappelear wore a boot as he left the field Saturday. 

CHANGING OF THE GUARD: Veteran OG Brandon Moore’s agent stating a one-year deal has been reached

dallas cowboys offensive guard mackenzy bernadeau (73) listens to offensive guard nate livings - the boys are back blog

OXNARD, Calif. – The Dallas Cowboys are expected to add another veteran guard to the equation, possibly even reaching a deal within the next 24 hours.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked the question following Tuesday’s practice and didn’t deny getting some interior line help.

“We’re working, doing some things on the offensive line that I think will help our depth,” Jones said. “The main thing is just stay tuned. We’re trying to do some things there.”

The leading candidate could be veteran Brandon Moore, whom the team has been in discussions with on Tuesday. In fact, multiple reports have cited his agent, stating a one-year deal has been reached. However, as of Tuesday evening, Dallas Cowboys officials said a deal has not been finalized.

Moore played four seasons for Bill Callahan with the Jets from 2008-11 and made the Pro Bowl in Callahan’s last season in New York.

Moore was picked up by the Jets after going undrafted in 2002 and played with them for 10 years through the 2012 season. He’s played in 144 games and started all but two of them during that time.

There were reports Moore would retire after the 2012 season, but that’s apparently not the case. Moore, who hasn’t missed a game since the 2004 season, will provide depth to an interior line that’s struggled to remain healthy.

Other possible additions could be Brian Waters and Geoff Hangartner.

This news comes on the same day Mackenzy Bernadeau returned to full  practice for the first time. He worked at right guard while Ron Leary continued to run with the first-team at the left side. Veteran starter Nate Livings had minor knee surgery last week and is expected to miss the next 2-3 weeks.

Jones said adding some experience to the line would be the ultimate reason for the move.

“That’s sure part of it. I think you have to recognize that you’ve got a younger, with Smith as well as potentially Parnell if he does get back, it’s younger. Bernadeau brings us some experience and so does Livings, but still, it does have to do with we’ve got a younger group there. But it will have more to do with the availability of the player that we bring in. If we bring in a veteran, it will be about him.”

RELATED: Brandon Moore, Dallas Cowboys agree on contract

CHANGING OF THE GUARD - Veteran OG Brandon Moore’s agent stating a one-year deal has been reached with the Dallas Cowboys

NFL website reports …

The Dallas Cowboys made a big move in their search for guard help Tuesday, agreeing to a one-year contract with former New York Jet Brandon Moore, a source told NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport.

Playing at close to a Pro Bowl level for the past half-decade, Moore was one of the few remaining free agents at any position capable of stepping in as an immediate upgrade. He drew interest from the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins early in free agency, but his reported $3 million to $4 million asking price apparently scared away those teams.

The 10-year veteran had made it clear he had no intention of retiring at age 33, and it’s understandable that he’d only come back and risk a serious injury if a team made it worth his while. Evidently, the Cowboys did.

With veteran guards Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau on the shelf with injuries, Dallas is the ideal fit for Moore.

IN THE TRENCHES: Cowboys guard Ronald Leary taking full advantage of opportunity

IN THE TRENCHES - Cowboys guard Ronald Leary taking full advantage of opportunity

OXNARD, Calif. – Sunday’s preseason opener against the Dolphins could best be described as a game in which the starters didn’t play.

However, when it’s all said and done and five preseason games are in the books, we might look back on the 24-20 win over Miami and remember a starter who took every offensive rep.

Because if the Cowboys had it their way, Ron Leary could very well be the starting guard when the team plays New York in the Sept. 8 opener.

Leary played the entire game Sunday and helped pave the way for a rushing attack that included 170 yards.

After the game, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked if he was comfortable starting Leary and he was quick to answer with a yes. However, he followed it up with Leary needing to win the job.

But as long as Nate Livings, who had minor knee surgery last week, and Mackenzy Bernadeau, who is expected to finally return in full this week from a hamstring injury, leave the door open for Leary, the second-year guard from Memphis will gladly step in.

“You never want to see a guy hurt or anything,” Leary said. “But the goal is to start. You always want to start. I’m going to keep working hard and try to get to that goal.”

Leary suffered a calf injury at the start of training camp and missed the first 10 days of practice, seemingly wasting a golden opportunity to take first-team reps with the two starters out.

But he has now returned and was more than solid in his return.

“I liked the way we ran the football,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “I think (Leary) did some nice things from what I could tell. But the fact we had some success is a good indication of how played.”

And Leary wasn’t the only guard who stood out Sunday night. David Arkin also played well on the right side. He played most of the game and had plenty of favorable moments.

The guard situation is indeed up for grabs and the injuries to the starters only complicate matters.

But it’s leaving the door open for the young guys. Leary playing the entire game like he did only increases his chances of becoming a starter in Week 1.

“I know I have to keep grinding,” Leary said. “We want to be a physical team. That’s the way I like to play. We were able to do that (Sunday night). But I’m not satisfied. I have a lot of work to do to get better and I plan on working hard to get there.”

COWBOYS 2013 INJURY UPDATE: Anthony Spencer surgery a success, should be ready for start of the season

dallas cowboys outside linebacker anthony spencer (93) sacks washington redskins quarterback robert griffin iii - the boys are back blog

Defensive end Anthony Spencer had successful surgery on his left knee today (Thursday), according to his agent Jordan Woy.

Spencer will be be sidelined about a month while recovering, likely keep him out the majority of the preseason. He should be ready for the start of the season.

The surgery was necessary after Spencer experienced discomfort in the knee during pre-camp conditioning tests on Saturday. It’s the same knee he hyper-extended during organized team activities in June.  A magnetic resonance imaging exam confirmed a bone-bruise in Spencer’s left knee.

The Cowboys felt surgery was the best option and wanted to get this taken care of so it wouldn’t be a lingering issue during the season. Spencer will make $10.6 million after being designated as the team’s franchise player.

RELATED: Cowboys finally got some good news on the injury front

Starting left guard Nate Livings has been given the OK to practice and was removed Friday from the active non-football injury list. He’s expected to practice Friday afternoon after missing the start of camp with a foot problem.

Coach Jason Garrett said several other injured players could be back next week, including tight end James Hanna (hamstring), guard Mackenzy Bernadeau (hamstring) and guard Ron Leary (calf).

Backup right tackle Jermey Parnell (hamstring) probably need another week, Garrett said.

Garrett also said that defensive ends Anthony Spencer (knee) and Tyrone Crawford (Achilles tendon) had successful surgeries in Dallas. Spencer is expected back in camp sidelines this week, while Crawford will remain in Dallas.

BLIP ON THE RADAR: The least sexy article you’ll read today; but one worth remembering

SOPHOMORE MAKES LEAP - Dallas Cowboys OG Ronald Leary catches Garrett's eye at minicamp - The Boys Are Back blog 2013

Ronald Leary – He threw a couple of guys around this past weekend as if they were Pop Warners.

He looks strong as bull.

Built like one of those top-loading deep freezers.

He’s quiet, but seems quite serious about this game of football.

And to most out there, he’s a forgotten man, and understandably.

But around here, when so many want to throw jab after jab at the Cowboys for failing to do enough this offseason to improve their offensive line, they must snicker quietly to themselves. They know better. They know they’ve got a real shot at multiple upgrades to the interior of this offensive line.

Sure, the Cowboys went out of their way to select an offensive lineman in the first round, center/guard Travis Frederick, the real irony of this draft since one and all wanted the Cowboys to concentrate on offensive linemen, some suggesting to do so with the first three picks. And then when they made doubly sure to draft at least one high-quality offensive lineman, they were chastised for trading down to do so.

Can’t win sometimes.

Roster Rundown - Ron Leary Might Be Ready To Compete This Year - The Boys Are Back blog 2013

Ronald Leary.

Yep, him again. He’s still here, hasn’t gone anywhere.

You remember him, right? The rookie free-agent offensive lineman the Cowboys signed last year out of Memphis that owner Jerry Jones just couldn’t wait to tell everyone how excited he was over the acquisition. And I know what you are thinking, and probably were thinking: Why so excited about some rookie free agent? Why, the guy didn’t even get drafted.

Well, I’m sure back in the day there were similar reactions to the rather innocuous rookie free-agent signings of Tony Romo and Miles Austin. Sometimes these guys entering the league as rookie free agents do make it. Some big. (Also see Bill Bates, Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton, Everson Walls, to name a few, and those guys were passed over when the NFL Draft was 12 rounds.) Granted, the odds are long, understood.

Continue reading →

SOPHOMORE MAKES LEAP: Dallas Cowboys OG Ronald Leary catches Garrett’s eye at minicamp

SOPHOMORE MAKES LEAP - Dallas Cowboys OG Ronald Leary catches Garrett's eye at minicamp - The Boys Are Back blog 2013

Ronald Leary is the most experienced offensive lineman, in the Dallas Cowboys’ system at least, at rookie minicamp.

Jason Garrett said it showed.

“He actually flashed at us this morning,” Garrett said Friday after the first practice of the weekend. “He has an unfair advantage, like some of the veteran guys who have been around. He knows the system. He’s been with us for a year. The play calls are very natural to him. He understands fronts and all of that stuff. So he’s going to play faster.”

At this time last year, Leary was in the same position as many of the other players in the three-day camp. He was an undrafted rookie, signing with the Cowboys out of Memphis. He went undrafted largely because of a knee condition that may shorten his career.

He spent last season on the practice squad before being activated for the season finale in Washington.

He said Friday he has come a long way since this time a year ago.

“I learned a lot from Coach Callahan, learned a lot from a lot of players on the team about just being a professional, that this is your job,” he said. “I think I’ve grown as a person.”

Garrett agreed and said Leary will have a chance this summer.

“Ron made a lot of progress over the course of the year last year, did a good job working in scout team,” Garrett said. “We saw the improvement as the year wore on. So it’ll be a nice opportunity for him once we get into the OTAs and regular training camp to see what he can do.”


62

Arkin, David

G

6-5

306

25

2

Missouri State

73

Bernadeau, Mackenzy

G

6-4

320

27

6

Bentley

66

Dominguez, Ray

G

6-4

329

24

1

Arkansas

65

Leary, Ronald

G

6-3

318

24

1

Memphis

71

Livings, Nate

G

6-4

320

31

6

LSU

Related articles on The Boys Are Back blog …

More from the archives about Dallas Cowboys OG Ronald Leary

WEEKLY ROSTER UPDATE: Ron Leary signed from practice squad; Speedy WR Armstrong released

Dallas Cowboys Ronald Leary - The Boys Are Back blog

IRVING, Texas – This is the time of year teams will try to sign young practice squad players around the league to build for the future.

The Cowboys made sure guard Ron Leary wouldn’t be a part of that for anyone else.

With a few teams showing heavy interest in him, Leary was signed to the 53-man roster on Saturday. To make room, the Cowboys decided to waive wide receiver Anthony Armstrong, who played in his first game for the team just last week.

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Anthony Armstrong back home - The Boys Are Back blog

Armstrong signed with the Cowboys on Nov. 26 but was inactive the first two games. He played on special teams last week against the Steelers.

The decision to cut him is somewhat surprising, considering he has a speed element the Cowboys don’t have with any other player. Plus, with Leary now in the mix, the Cowboys have an abundance of backup linemen, along with David Arkin, Derrick Dockery, Kevin Kowalski, Jermey Parnell and Darrion Weems.

And the Cowboys are still holding on to Jay Ratliff’s roster spot. Ratliff had sports hernia surgery last week and likely wouldn’t return for another three weeks at the earliest. 

Leary’s addition to the 53-man roster doesn’t exactly mean he will play Sunday against the Saints, or even suit out for the game.

Leary is another player the Cowboys had high hopes for this year. An undrafted tackle from Memphis with a potential knee injury that scared off many teams from drafting him, Leary quickly moved to guard, where the Cowboys thought he could thrive. In fact, he was working with the first-team at guard early in training camp when Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings were both injured.

But Leary’s progress slowed as camp went on and the Cowboys decided he wasn’t ready, putting him on the practice squad, where he has been all season.

%d bloggers like this: