Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett had the expected response when told owner Jerry Jones guaranteed his return for next year.
The man, who preaches “process” and taking it “one day at a time, one game at a time”, said his focus is only on Sunday’s game against the Giants.
“We’re talking about practicing well today,’’ Garrett said. “That’s what we’re going to focus on, and that’s something we emphasize to our team. That’s something we have to live as a coaching staff. We understand we have a great challenge this week and we’re trying to get ready for it.’’
As a long-time player and son of a former coach and a scout, Garrett understands the nature of the business. No matter what Jones says, he knows that if the Cowboys don’t get in the playoffs, anything could happen. His approach of always doing your best every day has been the same since he took over the Cowboys and it won’t change now with Jones’ vote of confidence.
“I think it’s the nature of the league,’’ Garrett said. “You have to focus on what you’re doing each and every day to play your best football on Sunday. That’s what the focus is.’’
Garrett certainly has the support of the Cowboys locker room. The players greeted news of Garrett’s job security with excitement.
Said quarterback Tony Romo of Garrett’s impending return: “It’s good. I think he is a fantastic coach. We are lucky to have him. He is doing a great job here right now. We’re continuing to try and win games and Jason’s done a great job putting us in position to have that opportunity and I think he’s done a great job. Anytime that happens, it’s always just a positive.”
Receiver Dez Bryant was in full agreement, saying Garrett is the best coach he has been around.
“He’s the guy. Coach Garrett is the guy,” Bryant said. “This stuff is a process. Don’t count us out quick, because we’re still here. We believe we’ve got a shot at doing something good this year. Coach Garrett does a great job. I pay attention to him. I listen to him. I love him. He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever been around.”
Jason Garrett: Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants practice (8:18)
- Matching intensity of the outspoken New York Giants players
- Preparations for playing in windy, cold environments this time of the year
- Linebackers DeVonte Holloman limitation and addition of Orie Lemon
- Precautions with DeVonte Holloman’s neck injury
- Expectations for 3-4 LB Orie Lemon coming back to play in Dallas’ 4-3 scheme
- Dez Bryant’s handling of the New York Giants comments in the past week
- Troy Aikman’s radio comments about line of scrimmage delay’s vs. Saints
- Mindset of the New York Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys mindset this week
- Tailored player motivation through overcoming adversity and rewards for playing time
- Running short high percentage plays to Witten/Dez in slumps; vs. broad list plays
- How the recent NY Giants have changed their attack; two-back base offense
- DeMarcus Ware and Morris Claiborne’s practice yesterday
Spread the word about The Boys Are Back website! Use the SHARE buttons below!