OXNARD, Calif. – The Dallas Cowboys are expected to add another veteran guard to the equation, possibly even reaching a deal within the next 24 hours.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked the question following Tuesday’s practice and didn’t deny getting some interior line help.
“We’re working, doing some things on the offensive line that I think will help our depth,” Jones said. “The main thing is just stay tuned. We’re trying to do some things there.”
The leading candidate could be veteran Brandon Moore, whom the team has been in discussions with on Tuesday. In fact, multiple reports have cited his agent, stating a one-year deal has been reached. However, as of Tuesday evening, Dallas Cowboys officials said a deal has not been finalized.
Moore played four seasons for Bill Callahan with the Jets from 2008-11 and made the Pro Bowl in Callahan’s last season in New York.
Moore was picked up by the Jets after going undrafted in 2002 and played with them for 10 years through the 2012 season. He’s played in 144 games and started all but two of them during that time.
There were reports Moore would retire after the 2012 season, but that’s apparently not the case. Moore, who hasn’t missed a game since the 2004 season, will provide depth to an interior line that’s struggled to remain healthy.
Other possible additions could be Brian Waters and Geoff Hangartner.
This news comes on the same day Mackenzy Bernadeau returned to full practice for the first time. He worked at right guard while Ron Leary continued to run with the first-team at the left side. Veteran starter Nate Livings had minor knee surgery last week and is expected to miss the next 2-3 weeks.
Jones said adding some experience to the line would be the ultimate reason for the move.
“That’s sure part of it. I think you have to recognize that you’ve got a younger, with Smith as well as potentially Parnell if he does get back, it’s younger. Bernadeau brings us some experience and so does Livings, but still, it does have to do with we’ve got a younger group there. But it will have more to do with the availability of the player that we bring in. If we bring in a veteran, it will be about him.”
RELATED: Brandon Moore, Dallas Cowboys agree on contract
NFL website reports …
The Dallas Cowboys made a big move in their search for guard help Tuesday, agreeing to a one-year contract with former New York Jet Brandon Moore, a source told NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport.
Playing at close to a Pro Bowl level for the past half-decade, Moore was one of the few remaining free agents at any position capable of stepping in as an immediate upgrade. He drew interest from the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins early in free agency, but his reported $3 million to $4 million asking price apparently scared away those teams.
The 10-year veteran had made it clear he had no intention of retiring at age 33, and it’s understandable that he’d only come back and risk a serious injury if a team made it worth his while. Evidently, the Cowboys did.
With veteran guards Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau on the shelf with injuries, Dallas is the ideal fit for Moore.