IRVING, Texas – Over the years the Cowboys have excelled in landing undrafted free agents that make the 53-man roster, so it stands to reason a few of the 15 signings will make the club in 2013.
Last year, Cole Beasley, Ronald Leary and Ben Bass spent time on the active roster.
Here is the up-to-date list:
- LB Brandon Magee, Arizona State
- QB Dalton Williams, Akron
- S Jakar Hamilton, South Carolina State
- RB Kendial Lawrence, Missouri
- CB Devin Smith, Wisconsin
- CB Dustin Harris, Texas A&M
- LB Cameron Lawrence, Mississippi State
- WR Greg Herd, Eastern Washington
- FB Paul Freedman, Virginia
- LB Tank Reed, SMU
- DB Jeff Heath, Saginaw Valley State
- K Spencer Benton, Clemson
- WR Eric Rogers, Cal Lutheran
- CB Xavier Brewer, Clemson
- LB Deon Lacey, West Alabama
Interesting to note the Cowboys did not sign an offensive lineman. Perhaps some could come in on a tryout basis for the May 10-12 rookie mini-camp. One tryout player, who is expected to sign is tight end B.J. Stewart from Cumberland.
UPDATE: TE BJ Stewart has signed with Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent
Cumberland (Tenn.) University tight end BJ Stewart has signed with the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent, upping the team’s total undrafted free agent signings to 16.
Stewart told his hometown Rome, Ga., newspaper, “It really is a dream come true. Being a kid, my family always told me I would play in the NFL, so it’s just a dream come true.”
Stewart (6-4, 263) led Cumberland last season with 21 catches for 396 yards and five touchdowns.
Stewart played defensive end in 2010 and 2011 at Cumberland before switching to tight end last season. He came to Cumberland for wrestling, and he was ranked No. 1 in the nation in the heavyweight division for two weeks in 2009-2010.